When arranging flower beds and paths, decorating the yard or the adjacent territory, it is often necessary to install dividers. Most often for this use curbs (called still curbs). And the installation of the curb is not so difficult to necessarily invite the team. It is quite possible to cope with your own hands. In any case, with helpers.
Appointment and types of curbs
Curbs are used to separate sites with different cover and / or load. They can separate the tracks from lawns, flowerbeds, gardens or kitchen gardens, serve as a pedestrian and carriageway boundary, etc.
They perform several functions at once:
- serve for visual design of tracks;
- redistribute the load;
- protect the tracks from leaching and destruction.
If you want the tracks to serve for a long time, you need to set a curb along the edge. He keeps all the materials, not allowing to collapse or change shape.
Curbs or curb stones have different sizes, make them from different materials, apply different technologies. The most common type - concrete curbs, but there are also plastic, vibroped.
Types of concrete curbs and curbs
Concrete curbs are the most common, they are of different sizes. They are divided into two categories:
- Road stone. Wider and taller, often with reinforcement inside (one or two steel rods 12-14 mm in diameter). Used to separate the carriageway and the pedestrian section.
- A curbstone (also called a curb, a garden or sidewalk curb). Smaller in size and weight, without reinforcement. Usually separate the pedestrian paths from lawns. Can withstand short-term raids of a car. With more serious and persistent loads, it is undesirable to put them, since they are destroyed.
Other types of curb stones to block off the roadway are not applied, since they have insufficient strength.
Roads are not always direct - there are bends. Sharp turns at an angle is easy - put at the right angle, and fix the connection point with concrete solution. For smooth turns there are radius pieces with different radiuses of curvature. They can be used to create a fence for round, oval flower beds.
Curb blocks are usually produced in lengths of 1000 mm, those designed to separate pedestrian paths from fertile soil - 850 mm long. Still there are elements of 500 and 400 mm in length. Usually it is curbs for tracks from paving slabs. They are produced not only on the technology of cast concrete, but also on the technology of vibrocompression, on which the paving slab is made.
The height of the curb stone can be:
- 300 mm - for separating the sidewalk from the roadway;
- 200 mm, 180 and 150 mm - for the tracks.
The width of 200, 180 mm (road stone), 150, 100, 80 mm (curbstone).
Installation of curbs on sand cement mixture or concrete
On soils prone to whipping, set the curb stone to the pouring of sand and gravel, on top of which a layer of concrete is laid, a curb is laid in it. With this installation, the borders stand for years without problems. The procedure is as follows:
- With the help of pegs installed in key locations and strings stretched between them, markings are produced.
- On the made markings dig a trench. The width should be such that on the sides of the set stone there was a distance of 10-15 cm from each side. Depth is chosen so that the layer of compacted rubble on the bottom was not less than 10 cm, on top - at least 5 cm of cement-cement mortar, and the curb itself rose above the surface of the path by at least a few centimeters (how much it depends on your desire).