Despite the high strength, ceramic tiles are easy to damage, so during the repair all manipulations with it must be done carefully. To work with tile, it is important to have the appropriate knowledge, especially if it's not just about laying it, but also drilling holes. Otherwise, you can incur large losses due to damaged material, and in some cases you have to do anew repair.
Features of tiles
Facing tile is a universal material, because It can be used in various rooms, be it a bathroom, toilet, kitchen or even non-residential premises. Through tile you can create original and practical interior design, change the geometry of the room and the height of the walls. But, like any other material, ceramic tiles have disadvantages - brittleness and slippery surface, which greatly complicates the process of drilling holes.
During the repair work, it is not uncommon to drill a tile in order to hang a shelf, a towel holder, etc. Next, it should be noted that the need for this manipulation can occur not only before the material is laid, but after. In both cases, the procedure must be performed as carefully as possible in order to prevent the tile from breaking. In addition, it is important to use the right tools that will quickly and easily cope with the task.
Than to drill?
To drill holes in the tile, use different types of tools: a punch, a screwdriver, a hand drill or an electric drill. The choice of the tool will depend not only on the preferences, but also on the diameter of the hole that needs to be made. For example, a small hand drill is suitable for small holes. its speed can be easily controlled, which will avoid splitting the material. Also suitable screwdriver, which has a small number of revolutions.
For the drilling of large diameter holes, it would be expedient to use a perforator or electric drills with crowns. When working with tools, it is important to disable the shock mode, and use the minimum speed. Among other things, you need tools such as a conductor, a drill, a level, a pencil, a paint tape or an adhesive tape.
Choose a drill bit
Having decided with the tool, it is necessary to choose a suitable drill, which is best to cope with the task. It is important to consider the features of the tile - hardness, porosity, thickness. The drills are presented in a wide variety, they differ in material, diameter and purpose.
To choose the right product, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the most common options:
- Spear-shaped. The most common drill, suitable for making small holes for the dowel. It has a long operating life and affordable cost.
- Carbide-tipped, sharpened on one side. Suitable for any type of tile, except porcelain tiles. With its help it is possible to drill holes up to 12 mm in diameter.
- Diamond crowns. Needed to create large holes - 10-70 mm. Such products cope with any material, as with a fragile tile, and with porcelain stoneware. One crown is enough for 20-50 cycles.
- The balleriness. The product is an adjustable circular drill, designed for drilling holes up to a diameter of 90 mm. The ballerina consists of 2 disks arranged in parallel, and the distance between them corresponds to the radius of the future hole.
- Crowns with sputtering of carbide-tungsten. They are great for working not only with tiles, but also with materials such as porcelain tiles, marble and bricks. Using the crowns, make holes for cabinets, sockets and heated towel rails and other things.
As practice shows, it is best to choose drills with diamond spraying, because they allow you to make the most smooth and accurate holes, while at the same time significantly reduces the risk of cracking tiles.
How correctly to drill?
Often, drilling holes is required when the tile is already laid on the wall, so this option is recommended to consider first. Work begins with the preparation of tools, and marking on the tile. To prevent slipping of the drill, it is possible to paste a scotch on the tile and put a mark on it. Start drilling at minimum speed, and then gradually increase it. Having reached the base of the wall, it is recommended to replace the tile drill with a more suitable one, for example, for working with concrete or stone.
During operation, the tool should be kept strictly at an angle of 90 degrees relative to the wall, and do not put pressure on the surface. For better visibility, you can use an additional lighting device, or a special LED nozzle for a drill or screwdriver.
If the ceramic tiles have not yet been laid, then it should be put in a container with water for a while, then removed, wiped, placed on a wooden substrate, and marked. In this case, you can also use tape to eliminate slip. The further drilling process is performed in the same way as described above, but you do not need to change the drill bit.
Large diameter holes can be made only with the help of crowns or a ballerinka, and this should be done before laying the tiles. First you need to apply the marking to the tile, then set the tool in the desired position, and with a light pressure, start drilling at low speed. In the process of working, tile is recommended to be moistened with water to reduce dust formation.
Masters are not recommended to make holes in the seams of the tile, tk. There is a high probability of chipping and cracking of the material. But if nevertheless there is in it necessity, then it is necessary to choose drills, the width of which will correspond to the size of the seam. Thus, the hole will be exactly between the tiles, and the probability of their damage is reduced to a minimum.
Drill holes in tiles is a difficult task, requiring skills in working with building tools and materials. But still, if you want and a little practice, you can do the job well without the participation of a professional master.
In this difficult case, it is recommended to listen to several important tips:
- It is important to choose the right tool, which will not only be practical, but also convenient, because the master must confidently hold it in his hands.
- Work should be at the minimum speed - no more than 1000 rpm.
- Do not pressure the instrument or change the retention angle, because this will lead to cracking.
- When drilling holes in the seams, you should use a thin drill, and it can be designed not for tiles, but for concrete. But still it is recommended to drill directly the material, rather than the seams, if possible.
- Do not stack ceramic tiles before drilling should be soaked in water for 1 hour - this will reduce the likelihood of cracking.
- It is not recommended to make holes close to the edges of the tile. on these sites it is the most fragile.
Before you start to drill a wall, it is better to practice first. The master must "feel" the instrument and how the drill penetrates the tile. Professionals always feel the likelihood of breaking the tile and at the right time reduce the drilling speed.
When performing work with tiles and power tools, it is necessary to observe safety precautions. First of all, you need to wear protective clothing, namely gloves, construction goggles, closed shoes, which will protect the skin in the event of a split material. In addition, the process of drilling holes in ceramic tiles refers to dirty work due to the formation of a large amount of dust, so do not interfere with the respirator, robes and headgear.
On how to accurately drill a tile, see the following video.